A vehicle’s radiator along with the rest of its cooling system is very important for keeping your car running in good condition. While running, A vehicle’s engine produces a lot of excess heat that without being removed would quickly damage or destroy the engine. Your local mechanic on the Gold Coast or the guys that do air conditioning on the Gold Coast can quickly tell you if your radiator is functioning correctly.
There are a few do it yourself things to make sure your vehicle’s cooling system remains in good working condition:
- Always ensure that the coolant is topped up. Just having a consistently low coolant level can actually damage the cooling system. If you need to top up the coolant more than once every few months, you probably have a leak and should have your radiator professionally inspected.
- Keep an eye on the engine temperature gauge or if you see a warning light check the cause immediately. If the temperature rises more than its usual, it means that your radiator isn’t performing at peak efficiency and needs attention or maintenance.
- Cleaning the radiator of dust and leaves should be done regularly to ensure a good air flow.
- Sometimes in start-stop traffic conditions, your engine can overheat. The best thing to do is turn off your air conditioner and open the windows. This will reduce the work the engine is doing allowing it to cool down.
- If you are going up a long hill, often an older car will start to show signs of getting hotter than normal. Often the best thing is just to slow down a little and relive the engine strain a little. When the engine is not working so hard it does not produce so much heat. Of course, if the car overheats then you need to stop and allow it to cool down and get your cooling system checked and repaired.
- Visually inspect the cooling system. Look for any signs of corrosion or breaks in the radiator cores, Check for cracked hoses and rusted clamps and check that the gasket fitted to your radiator cap is still ok. Always look under the engine to see if there are any drips or water stains there.
- Keep an eye on the drive belts and make sure that they are working soundlessly, a whistling or mechanical cream from under the bonnet at times is a sure sign you drive belts are loose or worn and need replacing.
When you take your vehicle in for a radiator and cooling system check test they should include the following:
- Test the thermostat test to see that it properly regulates the coolant flow
- A pressure test to make sure it does not leak under working pressure
- A fan test to ensure the engine cooling fan is working properly
- The will test the radiator cap to ensure it releases at the correct pressure
- They should flush the system and replace the coolant
As long as you look after your vehicle’s cooling system and do regular visual checks and have it regularly serviced by your local Mechanic on the Gold Coast or at one of the Air conditioning companies on the Gold Coast, the cooling system and radiator should last for years of trouble free motoring.Tags: Mechanic Gold Coast